Big tech health ecosystem, building digital bank, stock market rally, fathers give you strength
A weekly newsletter bringing you the best of Health, Wealth and Wisdom to lead, better meaningful lives. Please help share this newsletter or give me feedback on how I can improve further.
It is Fathers Day today and we wish to dedicate this weeks newsletter to all the hard working Fathers out there. Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that Fathers play an equal, if not a larger role in kids life. There are wisdom filled ballads written on mothers but fathers are mostly left out and their role is always under appreciated. More under the Wisdom section below. Happy Fathers’ Day!!!
1 on Health 🏃🏻♀️🏃🏼♂️ – Big Tech Health Ecosystem is Here
I was playing around with my Apple Watch yesterday and realised that teh Health App section, when synced to your watch, is a very powerful tool. That led me digging onto more and I realised that Apple is on to something very big. What is next for Apple? I always wonder, are there any limits? When you think they had exhausted with iPod and iPhone hardware, they come up with an entire new services ecosystem – apple payments, cards, in app payments etc. Then they revive the whole Netflix like experience in Apple TV, then develop something entirely phenomenal in games arcade, but what is Apple going to look like 10 years from now? What is the most important product for Apple? It is going to be Health.
When you ask Tim Cook, he says “If you zoom out into the future, and you look back, and ask the question, ‘What was Apple’s greatest contribution to mankind?’ It will be about health.”
Specifically, they’re building a system to aggregate data from modern connected devices (like watches, scales, fitness equipment, mattresses, etc) and integrate it with traditional health records (lab results, conditions, medications, procedures) in order to unlock a new, comprehensive view of your body’s health. A live constant cheque on your body, birth mental and physical. I am sure they will find an emotional cure to the couples fighting one day as well. Airpods & bluetooths are just going to naturally become hearing aids. Someone got into a bike accident and were knocked unconscious. Their Apple watch detected the crash and called 9-1-1 for them. Live data for your insurance company – premium going up or no insurance at all with instantaneous settlements. Everything related to health.
You Are What You Eat: “If you eat, invest, and think according to what the “news” advocates, you’ll end up nutritionally, financially, and morally bankrupt” – Naval Ravikant
2 on Wealth 🥂🍻 Building Digital Bank & Anatomy of a Stock Market Rally
- Podcast Conversation: How to Build a Profitable Digital Bank with Tinkoff – Oliver Hughes is the CEO of Tinkoff Group, shares advice on this $3.8 billion market cap publicly listed company, which brings clarity to its operating model in a time when many noteworthy consumer digital banks are pursuing customer acquisition at the expense of profitability – brought to you via The Fintech Blueprint
- The Anatomy of a Rally by Howard Marks A great explanation of current stock market rally. Howard starts by asking:The process of answering these questions gives me an opportunity to dissect the breathtaking market rise. The world is combatting the greatest pandemic in a century and the worst economic contraction of the last 80+ years. And yet the stock market – supposedly a gauge of current conditions and a barometer regarding the future – was able to compile a record advance and nearly recapture an all-time high that had been achieved at a time when the economy was humming, the outlook was rosy, and the risk of a pandemic hadn’t registered. How could that be?& concludes:A bounce from the depressed levels of late March was warranted at some point, but it came surprisingly early and quickly went incredibly far. The S&P 500 closed last night at 3,113, down only 8% from an all-time high struck in trouble-free times. As such, it seems to me that the potential for further gains from things turning out better than expected or valuations continuing to expand doesn’t fully compensate for the risk of decline from events disappointing or multiples contracting.In other words, the fundamental outlook may be positive on balance, but with listed security prices where they are, the odds aren’t in investors’ favor.
3 on Wisdom 🧠🗣Fathers Strength
- Thank You Dad – and a very Happy Fathers Day to all the lovely Fathers out there.Every parent is working towards a common theme – to provide best of the world for their kids. I cannot recall, ever, when why parents would let their own dreams come in the way of fulfilling endless dreams of my brother and I.Growing up, you realise that Dads are mostly the strict ones, always controlling expenses and talking about savings. Things that most of us do not understand, up until very late in our lives. Mothers, on the other hand, are your God send angels, making sure they go out of the way to turn our dreams into realities. Naturally, for a growing kid, whose all demands are met, you start having a softer corner for your mom. You believe that your mother is sacrificing far more as that is what is visible to the child. His innocence does not see beyond that. Every simple occasion, every holiday, birthday of yours, all the tantrums, almost all your wishes, become her command. You worship her.“When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” – Linda PoindexteIt is only late in life, and most of all, when you are a father, you realise how much your Dad has sacrificed. Behind the scenes, Dad was always aware of your dreams. He was quiet, and arranging those dreams of your future via your mom. But he led your mother to be at the forefront of those current dreams, while making sure your future was as secure as he could make it. He was planning ahead, while stressing in the present and not really living his own life. He does not want you to struggle, at all if possible.Can you imagine the planning that goes into that? Can you imagine the stress he had when it was your birthday and his business was failing and he was penniless? The school fee had to be paid and the boss just told him this is your last day at work? You were in all your frenzy demanding your new bike, when he was struggling with next instalment on the home loan. He was struggling, and he had to make sure there was bread on the table. His mental agony, and his loneliness at those times, and the fact that he could not talk to anyone about this. There are times when out of shame, or ego or plain guilt, he cannot talk to his wife. neither his friends or anyone else.He wanted the moon for you. He wanted it quick. And maybe he made mistakes. But those mistakes were not for his own self, but for betterment of the family. But a father stays strong. In the end, he always wins, for his kids, for his families. The fact that I am writing this and you are reading this, is mostly because of our parents. While mothers have this inherent blessing from angels, fathers are blessed by infinite strength to continue on and never fail for their families. Not just for kids, but for his wife, and even his own parents and his entire family. each and everyday of his life. Without a break.“A father’s tears and fears are unseen, his love is unexpressed, but his care and protection remains as a pillar of strength throughout our lives.”
― Ama H.VanniarachchyIt is true that a mother keeps you in the womb for nine months, but it is your Father who keeps you in mind for those 9 months and plans for the next 90. Mostly quiet with his feelings, he is constantly planning the next week, next month, next year and even your kids lives. How to provide the best for entire family. It is easy for Mothers to say “I love you” with a kiss on the cheek. Fathers, sometimes, can’t. But that twinkle in their eyes, when they see you happy, says it all. They play an equal, if not a more important role in kids lives.Not just my father. Fathers everywhere. Rich & poor alike, working daily. Your driver, driving your expensive car is walking back home or taking the bus, to save that penny to provide a little better to his family. The worker building your new house, the security guards outside your house, the construction labourers, the stock broker, the banker, the lawyer, every father out there. A father never seeks praises, and is quietly working for his loved ones.Father is the one who cries in silence without tearsBlessed are thou, with parents around. Spend as much time as you can with your parents. That is the biggest blessing. There is no one more unselfish than them. No one else who will be more happy to see you succeed, and always wanting the best of you. It is very easy to forget not talking to them or visiting them in this fast paced life. That is a sure shot recipe for regret later. Nothing else matters. A laugh, a care, a tear, a chat, a video….all memories. That is what they need and ask for. They don’t need your billions and your fancy cars. Just someone to talk to them and listen to their silliness. Because they were there for you, unselfishly, silly you….
- What If You Pursued Contentment Rather Than Happiness? Contentment—the knowledge that things are OK exactly as they are, right now—is highly valued by many cultures. Contentment comes from our relationship to what is going on around us, rather than our reaction to it. It is the peaceful realization that we are whole and complete just as we are, despite the anger, sadness, joy, frustration, and excitement that may come in and out from time to time.
“The Paradox of Freedom:
The way to expand your freedom is to narrow your focus.
Stay focused on saving to achieve financial freedom.
Stay focused on training to achieve physical freedom.
Stay focused on learning to achieve intellectual freedom.” – James Clear
2. Listen, pause, think and then speak.
T – is it True?
H – is it Helpful?
I – is it Inspiring?
N – is it Necessary?K – is it Kind?
TOP 5 – We curated the best so that you don’t have to
- Long Take: Amazon/Goldman partnership, TikTok banking license, and Ethereum fintech through the lens of Aggregation Theory & Super Apps
- Same as it ever was – by Morgan Housel
- WhatsApp has quietly launched person-to-person payments, starting in Brazil (and not using Libra, Facebook’s crypto payment platform that attracted so much attention last year).
- eBay stalking?!A really bizarre story: a group of senior eBay security staff have been arrested and accused of running a campaign of stalking and harassment against a newsletter that eBay management didn’t like. I’d make a joke about how long it’s been since anyone cared this much about eBay, but this doesn’t actually sound very funny.
- Interesting long interview with Marc ‘Netscape, a16z’ Andreessen